Why freelance hairdressing is on the rise and how Unwritten can help you succeed!
Being an independent hairdresser can be a challenging but rewarding career choice. Being your own boss means you get to set your own schedule, control the services you offer, and establish your own rates.
Over the last few years – particularly during the pandemic – the traditional salon model has been challenged significantly with more than 50% of Australian hairdressers now opting for a sole trader business. And that number continues to rise, taking Indies from underdog to industry majority!
Here are a few reasons why an independent hairdressing career is becoming more popular:
1. Flexibility: As an independent hairdresser, you have the freedom to choose your own working hours, location, and clients. You can also take on as many or as few clients as you want, which allows you to balance work and personal life.
2. Higher Earnings: You can set your own prices and work a variety of job types to control how and when you grow their income, rather than working on a salary in a salon environment.
3. Creative Control: You can have more creative control over your work. You can choose the products and techniques you want, which allows you to express yourself creatively and develop unique styles that set you apart from others.
4. Personal Branding: You can develop your own personal brand and market yourself online through social media platforms such as Instagram. This can help you attract more like-minded clients and build a loyal customer base that suits your style.
5. Independence: Independent hairdressers have full control over your business decisions and can work without the constraints of a salon environment. This can provide a sense of independence and autonomy that ultimately builds freedom!
5. Minimal Overhead Costs: You don’t have to invest in expensive equipment and overhead costs that salons face.
6. Convenience: Since the pandemic, many people have grown used to on-demand and mobile services, and now prefer the convenience of having a hairdresser come to their homes rather than going to a salon.
But as with any business, with the good comes the stressful, and Indie Life is no different…
According to the results of the 2022 Single Operator Survey conducted by the Australian Hairdressing Council, more than 80% of independent hairdresser (‘Indie’) respondents identified that complex admin or not being paid for holiday or sick leave were among the most stressful problems they face in their sole trader business – closely followed by cashflow headaches.
That’s where we come in!
The Unwritten App has been designed and built in Australia for Australian sole trader hairdressers and their specific business needs.
Unwritten directly solves these problems in one single mobile platform that includes an innovative App + Professional Haircare ecosystem. It empowers you to…
- Increase retail profits without holding stock
- Earn income while you take holidays or sick leave
- Order and sell a range of professional brands (retail or wholesale) without leaving the App
- Stop paying for software functions you never use!
So why does Unwritten exist? Two Aussie mates, Rob Aubin and Hayden Brooks, had one great idea to empower and champion the burgeoning independent hairdresser market.
“We noticed the huge growth of the indie community, but the lack of recognition they’re receiving as serious business professionals,” explains Rob, who has worked in the industry for more than 20 years on leading salon software and professional haircare brands.
“Not to mention, we could clearly see the challenges that come with being a sole trader in this industry – meeting minimum order quantities and holding stock, building wealth on a single column, managing admin, marketing effectively – yet we couldn’t pinpoint any solutions that were really making a difference in this space.”
After two years in development, the App is in its final stages of testing and is set to launch mid-April!
To be one of the first to get your hands on it, join the waitlist HERE and become part of the Unwritten insider community.